Hohenfelde in German and Wysoka in Polish means high field, a description that well fits this village as shown as follows:
This village was initially part of neighboringZbosse (Zboze in Polish - also known as Grunlinde in German) and jointly run by Peter Remus the schultz of Zbosse. So early church records for the villagers are listed as Zbosse. This privileg was shared with Peter Scharmer. Alexander Pottilice owned the property; payments were made to Alexander on St Martin's Day. The following early building may have been that of one of the schultz.
Here is the view from that house of Zbosse.
Click here to find out is who was here in 1809.
Click here for an 1806 map showing Wysoka at the center.
Click here for a 1914 map showing Wysoka (Hohenfelde) at the center.
Click here for a close-up of Wysoka (Hohenfelde) and Zbosse in a 1939 map.
Click here to go to other West Prussia Villages.
Please send any queries to Bill Remus at
October 31, 2004