Schlochau is the administrative center for Kries Schlochau. TheTeutonic Knights founded it in 1340 as the Knights began to take over northern Poland. The village was between three lakes and also surrounded by a wall. It was the second largest walled town in the lands held by the Teutonic Knights (called Ducal Prussia). By 1410 battles erupted with the Poles and by 1460 the area had became part of Royal Prussia (West Prussia) which became part of the Polish nation.
The town is now a modern large town.
Little remains of the early village fortifications except segments of the village wall and the tower that stood on the wall. They are shown as follows:
Click here to go to other West Prussia Villages.
Please send any information and queries to Bill Remus at
August 9, 2004