Bomst (Babimost), Kreis Bomst, Posen
Bomst (Babimost) was built on a pagan hill and the old time residents are said to have worshipped Babi - hence the name of the village. The village was developed to attract German farmers. Following is a picture of the market plaza in the village as well as houses:
The old Lutheran church depicted below dates back to 1397 but was largely rebuilt as part of the redevelopment of the old town. Here is a picture:
And lastly the current Catholic church:
My interest in this village results from Remus family in this village. Here are details.
1. JOHANN JACOB1 REMUS was born Bef. 1752, and died Bef. 1815. He married (1) JOHANNA JUSTINA GIERING. She was born Bef. 1754, and died Abt. 1815. He married (2) ANNA ELISABETH QUAST. She was born Bef. 1784. Residence: Lissa
Child of JOHANN REMUS and JOHANNA GIERING is:
2. i. CARL GOTTLIEB2 REMUS, b. Abt. 1772; d. Bef. 1830.
Generation No. 2
2. CARL GOTTLIEB2 REMUS (JOHANN JACOB1) was born Abt. 1772, and died Bef. 1830. He married (1) ROSINA ZIPPKE Bef. 1810. She died 25 Jan 1833 in Wengielno, Neustadt bei Pinne, Nowy Tomysl. He married (2) JOHANNA ELISABETH MICHAEL 1815 in Hammer Boruy. She was born Abt. 1780. CARL GOTTLIEB REMUS:was a teacher in Dabrowker Hauland.
Child of CARL REMUS and ROSINA ZIPPKE is:
i. FLORENTINA JOHANNA JULIANA3 REMUS, b. Abt. 1810; d. 25 Jan 1833, Wengielno, Neustadt bei Pinne, Nowy Tomysl; m. DANIEL WENDLAND; b. Abt. 1810.
Children of CARL REMUS and JOHANNA MICHAEL are:
ii. JOHANN CHRISTIAN3 REMUS, b. 15 Jan 1796.
iii. FRIEDRICH WILHELM REMUS, b. 05 Oct 1797.
3. iv. ERNST FERDINAND REMUS, b. 24 Feb 1803; d. 20 Jun 1861, Bomst.
Generation No. 3
3. ERNST FERDINAND3 REMUS (CARL GOTTLIEB2, JOHANN JACOB1) was born 24 Feb 1803, and died 20 Jun 1861 in Bomst. He married (1) BEATA SCHULZ 20 May 1830 in Bomst, daughter of GOTTFRIED SCHULZ. She was born 07 Jun 1805, and died 29 Apr 1844 in Bomst. He married (2) JOHANNA CAROLINE GLADIS 26 Dec 1844 in Bomst, daughter of JOHAN CHRISTIAN GLADIS. She was born 1822.
Children of ERNST REMUS and JOHANNA GLADIS are:
i. AUGUSTE WILHELMINE CHARLOTTE4 REMUS, b. 15 Jan 1848, Bomst.
ii. EMIL FERDINAND CARL REMUS, b. 28 Jun 1850, Bomst.
iii. FERDINAND OTTO GUSTAV REMUS, b. 26 Jan 1853, Bomst.
iv. EVA REMUS, b. 23 Aug 1855, Bomst; d. 01 Sep 1855, Bomst.
v. EMIL GUSTAV ERNST REMUS, b. 08 Aug 1857, Bomst.
Click here to go to other villages.
Please send any queries to Bill Remus at
July 30, 2010