(Click the map to blow it up)
The Hoffman family history says that my ancestor Christian Hoffmann lived in Stanislowow Studzinski (Stanislowow near a well) "near Piotrkow" and he did indeed as confirmed in records at the Lodz and local archives. Stanislowow Studzinski is a village is southwest ofRawa just off the E67 road to Piotrkow near Czerniewiec. Christian's parish church was in Czerniewiec. His marriage to Rosina Hahn and christening of his first children was at this church and they lived till about 1833 in the village of Stanislowow. Later christenings were probably at the Evangelical church in Rawa. From this village they moved to Volhynia in the Ukraine.
Christian Hoffmann was born in 1797 inKrolikow, Grudzic Parish between Poznan and Lodz (the alternative site is Krolikow near Gneisno); he was the son of Andreas Hofmann and Rosina Rutke. In the area lived his brother Johan (Jan) born in 1777; Johan was the village mayor. As in the village lived possible relatives Daniel Hoffman born in 1802 (married to Francine Rezler and later to Anna Kankler), Gottfried Hoffman born in 1786 and Gottlieb born 1806 (married to Anna Rosina Miller).
Rosina Hahn was born inNekla further north and towards Poznan; it was then a part of Prussia. Her father was Samuel Hahn and her mother was Anna Rosalia Heyn. Her brother Christoph born and sister Anna Christina born in 1807 (married to Albert Zeywalt) also lived in this village. Additionally her possible brother Gottfried Friedrich Hahn (married to Anna Jacklin) and possible sister lived in Stanislowow.
Stanislowow Studzinski was originally a strassendorf (a village set up along both sides of a road) populated by Poles. At a later date, an extension was added on to the far end of the village to accommodate incoming German settlers like Christian; this extension was referred to in the records as Holendry Stanislowow. In other villages, Holendry also implied that the village was self-governing as opposed to a village ruled by the Polish nobility. Here are pictures of the houses in the extension of the village (Holendry Stanislowow):
Please send any information and queries to Bill Remus at
February 29, 2008